Book: The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

>> Thursday, September 11, 2008


This was extremely slow going from the beginning for me. I was confused by the general storyline for a while, then I was just disappointed by it. I also have issues with the brutality Meyer's lead male character exhibits toward Wanda, the female lead. And that she just stands there and takes it because she loves him. I don't buy the whole "I looooove him with all my being, so whatever he does I will take, even if he slaps me across the face so hard it shoves me into the wall." It is all just so unbelievable and completely not empowering for women. It is a very black and white (and disturbing) way of viewing women and men and their gender roles.

This book is touted as being for adults, as opposed to the Twilight series which is written for a YA audience. I find that the character development is no more advanced than it is in the Twilight series, maybe even less so. There is so much irrational internal dialog that I had a hard time relating to the main character at all. And maybe that is because Meyer decided to make her 20 years old. I don't consider myself all that old, but I do think it is a stretch to think of the main character as an adult. I mean, gosh, we wouldn't want her to be, like, 25 or something. She would be all dried up.

I actually think this may have something to do with Meyer's Mormon upbringing, in a culture where many young women do get married and settle down at 20. This may also be the reason that there is no sexual action in the book whatsoever -- at least in the first half of the book. Again, it is the pattern of the lead male character having to exert his otherworldly restraint and put the kibosh on the wild and hormonal female lead. This may be explained away in a YA book (although I think a lot of YA books do touch on the subject of S-E-X), but not in a novel supposedly written for adults.

All in all, there is just way, waaaaaay too much filler. There is no reason for the story to be over 600 pages long. It could easily have been told in 330 pages -- the point that I just put the book down and stopped reading. There are way too many books out there to spend another 300 pages on a story so lackluster.

5 comments:

Karen September 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM  

I probably wouldn't have lasted as long as you...at least you gave it a shot! I'm just starting on a book that is this author's "debut" novel...those are always iffy. But, seems interesting and it's only 261 pages...which sometimes is better (less likely to have problems with the "filler" that you mention). On to the next book! :)

Allison September 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

I really tried. 261 pages should be no problem as long as it's moderately decent and doesn't move along like a snail. That is like not even half of this book.

I have confidence that the next book I read will be a lot better. :)

jen September 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

i didn't enjoy the host nearly as much as the twilight series. but i didn't mind it either...

i was surprised that there was less sex than was in the ya series (did you read #4 yet?).

i'm just sayin'.

Allison September 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

No, I am still waiting for it. I think I am down to 272 on the library waiting list. That sounds long, but I was at 430 three weeks ago. :)

I think that what annoyed me more than anything about this book is the unnecessary length. It almost seemed like she was writing garbage in between the real plot line to reach her 600 page standard. I don't mind a little of the extraneous stuff, but when I notice it for what it is it gets to be a problem.

Actually, I take that back. What irritated me most is the violent Jared character. And the cringing and wincing and all that from Wanda. I like a stronger female lead. We aren't helpless creatures. :)

jen September 12, 2008 at 9:11 AM  

agreed :) but i also feel the soul (i.e., wanda) was supposed to be delicate while melanie was supposed to be the strong female leader.

the other thing that was kinda upsetting was that jared seemed much more interested in the body than the person. that is, it seemed like he would have liked anyone inhabiting in melanie's body. which seems to be the opposite of ian.