Books 2008

>> Thursday, August 28, 2008

Here are the books I've read in 2008. I'm going to keep updating it. I've become addicted to GoodReads recently. If you're so inclined, feel free to add me as a friend.

I am surprised how many I've managed to read considering that most of the reading I've done this year has been of the textbook variety. I am shooting for 50 by the end of the year. It is a lofty goal, but even if I'm close I'll be pretty amazed.

1. White Oleander - Janet Finch ****
2. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger ***
3. The Road - Cormac McCarthy ***
4. The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle *****
5. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory ***
6. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini ****
7. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck *****
8. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls ****
9. Empire Falls - Richard Russo ****
10. Shopgirl - Steve Martin ***
11. Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert ****
12. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith ****
13. A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle *****
14. The Probable Future - Alice Hoffman ****
16. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer ****
18. Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg *****
19. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer ***
20. Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer ***
21. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen ****
22. The Host: A Novel - Stephenie Meyer * DNF
23. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini *****
24. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd ***
25. Many Lives, Many Masters ****

30. Eat, Drink, & Weigh Less - Katzen & Willett, M.D. ****

11 comments:

Anonymous August 28, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

Ooh, good reads! I especially loved #2 -- SO good.

Daphne August 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

I've read quite a few of those. What a well-edited list! Great choices.

Allison August 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

@Karen: That one was good. I think it is coming out as a movie? I'm interested to see how they put it on film.

@Daphne: Thanks! I love reading your book reviews. You inspired this post.

Anonymous August 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM  

You've got good taste in books, your inspiring me to want to buy a few and read!!

jen September 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
jen September 2, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

am so addicted to the twilight series - i literally read the first three in one day. then i waited (rather impatiently) for number 4. the movie comes out 12.12 :)

and philippa gregory? amazing. i've read almost all of her books. that particular book is better remaining as is. the movie wasn't nearly as good.

(my first comment posted under my non-blog account...whoops).

Allison September 3, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

@jen: The movie was pretty bad!

Anonymous September 7, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

i love gregory's books. may i recommend the lace reader. it was wonderful!

Allison September 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM  

@elizabeth Thank you for the recommendation. I have added it to my list!

Karen September 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

I saw something else today on the Twilight series and I finally had to look into them -- and after reading all about them online, I'm so excited to go to Barnes and Noble tonight to get the first one, haha! They look really good :)

Allison September 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

@karen They are fun to read. I bought the first one at the store and then returned it two days later after I'd finished reading it. Is that wrong?

I liked the first one the best, but I have yet to read #4. I am 262 on the library hold list! I am holding out for it instead of buying and returning again. :)