Class of 2008

>> Thursday, August 21, 2008


She believed she could, so she did. ~ Suzanne Berry

Well, I am officially finished with college and will have my degree in 6-8 weeks. It is kind of funny, all these titles and distinctions we create for ourselves that we decide mean something.

I am proud of myself for getting through it. All of the papers, tests, group projects, and classroom responses have finally added up to something. I have battled my own internal demons. I've battled procrastination and my own anxiety and lack of self-confidence. I dealt with the insecurity I felt after I chose one path and ended up finding out that it was not for me. I lived without my own money for the amount of time that I needed to and relied on JP to get us through.

In hindsight, I know that I should have taken a year off between high school and college. I was completely burned out after high school. While I was home last month, I sat in the attic looking through a box filled with high school things, and I was amazed at how involved I was and how much I took on. It was no wonder to see why I was spent and in need of some time for myself that I wasn't brave enough to take.

But I think things happen the way they do for reasons we can't see on the surface. Getting through college some years later than I could have has given me confidence that I might not have had otherwise. I know that I could get through anything. What it means as far as my life's purpose? I'm not so sure. But it has been a ride.

3 comments:

jen August 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM  

the bookmark quote! when i saw the quote i immediately thought of you! we are both so proud of you!!!

high school was a crazy time wasn't it? jonathan and i were just talking about all that stuff - including how you were my editor-in-chief :)

i'm going to try to take this jet-lagged body to bed - my internal clock is still on Maui time...

Karen August 25, 2008 at 7:20 AM  

I'm so proud of you! Congratulations :)

daisies August 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

congratulations : ) xo