Old Men Off the Block

>> Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I must admit something that I haven't made known before, other than to JP. I am completely bewildered by all of the New Kids on the Block hullabaloo. I think my love affair with them lasted for about a year until I moved onto bigger and better musical acts, like Mariah Carey and Ace of Base (come on, I was ten, and who doesn't like a little Ace of Base?). I just have a hard time witnessing the uproar that their comeback has created among grown women my age and older, women who are buying tickets to see them in concert.

There is just something wrong when 36+ year old has-beens can electronicize their voices and come out with an album with a song called Sexify My Love. Are you kidding? Just typing that makes me feel like I am going to break out in hives caused by massive creep factor. I guess they are trying to reclaim their former fans and pick up the next generation of young'uns. At 40. Ick. I'm just sayin'.

You have probably seen them somewhere recently because they are like a bad case of head lice that just won't go away. But just in case you haven't, here is a video of their embarrassing, awful-sounding initial comeback performance on the Today Show this summer (it is in three parts, if you want to go that far).

8 comments:

jen September 4, 2008 at 6:16 AM  

jordan was my favorite...when i was 7.

i have to agree - it is very strange to see forty somethings in a band called new KIDS on the block.

and sadly, at least for the song summertime, the music still sounds like it belongs back in the early '90s.

Allison September 4, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

Jordan was my favorite, too. People said because he had both ears pierced, he was gay. Young kids are pretty insightful about these things.

I remember I didn't really have any of their merchandise, and one of my elementary school friends felt sorry for me and gave a few of her least favorite trading cards. If I'd have saved them they might be worth some money now! Like baseball cards, right?

I am skeeved out by them. Completely. I wish they could have just stayed packed away in my early childhood closet where they belong.

Karen September 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

I personally loved Joey :) I was SO into them when I was little and have to admit, was kind of excited when they said they were getting back together...kind of like a train wreck that you can't look away from!

So, of course I listened to their album on Amazon a few nights ago and WOW...talk about creepy. There's one song called something like "Big Girl Now" ... umm, totally pervy. And another called "Dirty Dancing," with a line that says something like, "you're like Baby and I'm Swayze"...please.

They have the perfect combo of trendy pop meets creepy old men.

Allison September 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

It is definitely like watching train wreck! They were on some show the other day and I felt drawn to watch them just because of how horrific I knew the scene would be.

They are icky. If only they had stayed a warm fuzzy memory from the early 90s.

jen September 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

i thought you'd find this ironic: september 4th they performed again on the today show. and you missed it :) there's always youtube :P

btw - i posted some wedding photos via myspace.

Allison September 10, 2008 at 9:05 PM  

@jen ugh. I think I am going to pass on that Youtube search. ;) They are like insidious leeches.

And fun! I am going to check out your photos.

Daphne September 12, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

There's a New Kids comeback?

My favorite used record store while I was in high school/college had a big "New Kids-Free Zone" sign in their door... meaning, no NKOTB albums EVER. Thank god.

Allison September 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

@daphne it is terrible. horrific. I'm sorry to have made you aware of such an atrocity.

Every place in the world should be a New Kids-free zone -- for eternity, since we never know when they'll pop back up. I feel suddenly unsafe.