Home

>> Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I am finally settled back in Las Vegas after spending two weeks in Maryland. It sounds like a long time, but it was a whirlwind of activity. From cleaning out the attic and basement, to holding a yard sale, to helping my brother find a car, to getting my mom set up as well as I could -- there was not much time for fun. I didn't even take any pictures at all, a sure sign that I was overwhelmed.

I flew out of Pittsburgh International and my experience was fantastic. The airport is so nice and has a great shopping mall. The gates are clearly marked. The signage both entering and exiting is so clear; getting lost is not an option. The flight out was on time and better yet, no one sat in the middle seat! If you don't fly regularly, you might not realize or appreciate how truly rare this is, especially in recent years. It has been years since I have been on a flight where no one took the middle seat (I fly Southwest, so the boarding is a bit different than other airlines). Every flight I've taken in the last two or three years has been full. I will try to fly into Pittsburgh again unless it is winter. The weather can be nasty there, but any other time of year would probably be fine.

As for the family situation, I feel like I am pretty much finished with my dad, who isn't really my anything anymore. I have lost respect for him and his decisions. At the same time, I do respect that they are his decisions to make. The universe will see that he gets back what he puts out there, whether you call it karma, cause and effect, doing unto others, etc. Paying him back is not up to me or anyone else, and the best thing I can do for myself is to let it go and trust life.

My mom is hanging in there. She is a strong woman, and she has handled things remarkably well. I know that she will be able to let the situation go and will thrive because of it. I miss her and my brother, but I am happy to be back home with JP, despite the hairdryer-esque weather.

2 comments:

Karen July 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

Glad that you were able to get back to MD for a while -- I'm able to get back pretty often and it still always feels like a whirlwind with no down time, no matter how long I'm there.

Keep hanging in there with the family stuff -- you sound like you're taking it in stride though. You say your mom's a strong woman -- it seems a lot of that rubbed off onto you :)

Allison July 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

Thanks Karen. It was good to be back for a while, even under the circumstances. I feel like I am handling things pretty well -- one day at a time, some better than others. Fortunately the ratio is improving. :)