Breathe

>> Friday, August 1, 2008



"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." (Matthew 7: 24-29)

Having made a strong connection in recent months with Eckhart Tolle's writings, this particular passage resonates with me deeply. With school coming to a close soon, I feel like I am in a constant future-thinking state. I have the biggest project I've ever had to do awaiting me, and I'm having a difficult time not thinking beyond it. I am trying to remember to breathe. In reality, there is nothing I can change about the present and everything is right in my world at this moment. Always.

Academia is a very future-driven creation. In a way it has become my spiritual reminder to live for the present. I feel so much better when I can quiet my mind and just be. The present is the building block for the future, and if I don't nurture it and show reverence, my future will have a crumbling foundation.

6 comments:

Karen August 1, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

It's taken me a long time to get to a place where "someday" or "down the road" isn't at the forefront of my thoughts -- a quote that I love is: "Be happy for this moment; this moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam

Have a wonderful weekend and remember to take time and "just be" :)

jen August 1, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

academia is definitely fast-paced and always looking toward the next big find...

take a deep breath and plow through the project - your last one! i'm so excited for you! i doubt i'll find/be on the internet while in hawaii but know i'm thinking about you and so very proud of you!!!

jen August 1, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

and i just read your twitter. i have a civic - love, love, love it! it's a manual too so it's a blast to drive. my vote is yes!

Allison August 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

@karen: That is a fantastic quote. I will be as present as I can be. Have a fun weekend. :)

Allison August 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

@jen: Thank you!

I will be writing up a car post soon. The Civic is still definitely in the running. I am glad to hear that you like it so much. If only I knew how to drive manual...

Karen August 4, 2008 at 7:30 AM  

Speaking of school -- when are you "officially" done? That's so exciting! :)