Snip

>> Saturday, February 9, 2008

Today I cut JP's hair. The man has HAIR. He seems to have his dad's hair gene and his dad is 73 with a full shock of salt-and-pepper colored hair. There is no chance of JP going bald unless he starts shaving his head.

He had usually gone to one of those quickie hair butcher cutter places like Great Clips or SuperCuts and spent about $12 about every two months. The quality of the cuts were pretty inconsistent. The last time he went was September and the random hair dresser didn't listen to him and did what she wanted, cutting his hair to about a quarter of an inch -- too short for my taste. Fortunately his hair grows back faster than anything, so by the time Christmas rolled around his hair was getting somewhat unruly. I told my mom, who always cuts my dad's hair, that she should give JP a haircut for Christmas.

That got her started on a Christmas gift idea: an easy-to-use color coded hair clipper. It really is a phenomenal invention. She helped me cut his hair after Christmas and then showed me how to scissor cut the front top part of it and I felt that I could really do the job.



This morning I finally got around to doing it all on my own. First, I used the light blue one-inch taper control around the back of his head and up to his crown. Then I trimmed around his ears, tapering the cut down to his lower hair line. Next, I cut the top and front of his hair. I stood to the side and lifted horizontal sections of his hair, trimming straight across to make the hair even. I cut just about a fourth of an inch at a time, checking my progress as I went and comparing it with the rest of his hair. Lastly, I shaved his neck and gave a final trim to the lower hairline.



For a long time I had wanted to give him a haircut, but I didn't feel I had the skills/tools necessary to do the job. It was really quite easy, especially with the clipper, and I am happy to be able to do this and not have to shell out $12 for nothing. Plus, I think I did a better job than 90% of them do anyway. Now only one of us has to shell out money for hair cuts. If only JP were a hair stylist we could really save some money ...

1 comments:

Karen February 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Wow, great job! I wish I could cut hair...I've only tried once in the past with disastrous results, haha.